Mathematician:Arthur Norton Milgram
(Redirected from Mathematician:Arthur N. Milgram)Jump to navigation Jump to search
American mathematician who worked on functional analysis, combinatorics, differential geometry, topology, partial differential equations, and Galois theory.
- Born: 3 June 1912, Philadelphia, US
- Died: 30 January 1961
Theorems and Definitions
- Lax-Milgram Theorem (with Peter David Lax)
- Babuška-Lax-Milgram Theorem (with Ivo M. Babuška and Peter David Lax)
- Lions-Lax-Milgram Theorem (with Jacques-Louis Lions and Peter David Lax)
- Also proved Dilworth's Theorem in 1947 (with Tibor Gallai) but failed to publish, and Robert Palmer Dilworth got there first.
- 1942: Galois Theory (with Emil Artin)
- 1944: Galois Theory, 2nd ed. (with Emil Artin)
- 1954: Parabolic Equations (Annals of Mathematics Studies no. 33: pp. 167 – 190) (with Peter D. Lax)
- 1960: Verallgemeinerung eines graphentheoretischen Satzes von Rédei (with Tibor Gallai)