Mathematician:Jacques Philippe Marie Binet
Jump to navigation Jump to search
French mathematician best known for his contribution to the Binet-Cauchy Identity.
Recognized as the first to define the rules for matrix multiplication.
- Born: 2 Feb 1786, Rennes, Bretagne, France
- Died: 12 May 1856, Paris, France
Theorems and Definitions
- Binet-Cauchy Identity (with Augustin Louis Cauchy) (also known as Binet's Formula)
- Cauchy-Binet Formula (with Augustin Louis Cauchy) (also known, confusingly, as the Binet-Cauchy Identity)
- Binet's Theorem
- Binet Form
- Euler-Binet Formula (with Leonhard Paul Euler) (also known as Binet's Formula)
- Binet's Formula for Logarithm of Gamma Function
Results named for Jacques Philippe Marie Binet can be found here.
- 1813: Mémoire sur un système du formules analytiques, et leur application à des considérations géométriques (J. l'École Polytechnique Vol. 9: pp. 280 – 354)
- 1840: Mémoire sur les intégrales définies eulériennes
- John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson: "Jacques Philippe Marie Binet": MacTutor History of Mathematics archive