Mathematician:Jean le Rond d'Alembert
Devised a technique for solving the linear second order ODE with constant coefficients whose auxiliary equation has repeated roots.
- Born: 16 November 1717, Paris
- 1741: Elected into the Académie des Sciences, after several failed attempts
- 1746: Elected to the Berlin Academy
- 1754: Elected a member of the Académie française
- 9 April 1772: Became Permanent Secretary of the Académie française
- Died: 29 October 1783, Paris
Theorems and Definitions
- An initial version of the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, corrected by Gauss (in France it is also known as D'Alembert's Theorem or the D'Alembert-Gauss Theorem)
- D'Alembertian Operator
- D'Alembert's Paradox
- D'Alembert System
- D'Alembert's Formula
- D'Alembert's Principle
- D'Alembert's Test (also known as the Cauchy Ratio Test, for Augustin Louis Cauchy, or just the Ratio Test)
- Famously expressed a belief in Croix ou Pile in the Gambler's Fallacy: the more times a coin comes up tails, the more likely it then is to come up heads.
Results named for Jean le Rond d'Alembert can be found here.
- July 1739: Pointed out errors in Reynaud's standard 1708 with L'analyse démontrée in a communication to the Académie des Sciences.
- 1740: Mémoire sur la réfraction des corps solides (Memorandum on the refraction of solid bodies), recognised by Clairaut.
- 1743: Traité de dynamique
- Preliminary Discourse to the Encyclopedia of Diderot
- Croix ou Pile
Also known as
Full name: Jean-Baptiste le Rond d'Alembert.
- John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson: "Jean le Rond d'Alembert": MacTutor History of Mathematics archive
- 1971: Allan Clark: Elements of Abstract Algebra ... (previous) ... (next): Introduction
- 1998: David Nelson: The Penguin Dictionary of Mathematics (2nd ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): d'Alembert, Jean le Rond (1717-83)
- 2008: David Nelson: The Penguin Dictionary of Mathematics (4th ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): d'Alembert, Jean le Rond (1717-83)
- 2021: Richard Earl and James Nicholson: The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Mathematics (6th ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): D'Alembert, Jean-Baptiste le Rond (1717-83)