Jump to navigation Jump to search
Prolific American mathematician who worked in many fields, including Finsler geometry, geometry of solvmanifolds and nilmanifolds, locally affine spaces, many aspects of harmonic analysis, representation theory of solvable Lie groups, and multidimensional Fourier transforms and the design of signal sets for communications and radar.
- Born: 12 July 1928 in Brooklyn, New York, USA
- Died: 25 February 1997 in New York, USA
- 1955: The use of Forms in Variational Calculations
- 1959: Flat Lorentz Three Manifolds (with Lawrence Markus)
- 1963: Flows on Homogeneous Spaces (with Leon W. Green and Frank J. Hahn)
- 1963: Introduction to Differentiable Manifolds (with Robert E. MacKenzie)
- 1966: Unitary Representations of Solvable Lie groups (with Calvin C. Moore)
- 1967: Differential Geometry
- 1969: What are Numbers?
- 1971: Calculus: a First Course
- 1971: Polarization and Unitary Representations of Solvable Lie Groups (Invent. Math. Vol. 14: pp. 255 – 354) (with Bertram Kostant)
- 1973: Mathematics Through Statistics (with Frank J. Avenoso, Philip Cheifetz, Eldon Dyer, Allan Gerwitz, Beryl E. Hunte, Louis V. Quintas and Harry E. Rauch)
- 1975: Abelian Harmonic Analysis, Theta Functions and Function Algebras on a Nilmanifold (with Richard Tolimieri)
- 1977: Lecture Notes on Nil-Theta Functions