Cardinality of Empty Set
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- $\card S = 0 \iff S = \O$
That is, the empty set is finite, and has a cardinality of zero.
Zero is defined as the cardinal of the empty set.
The result follows from Finite Cardinals and Ordinals are Equivalent.
- 1965: J.A. Green: Sets and Groups ... (previous) ... (next): $\S 1.3$. Intersection
- 1975: T.S. Blyth: Set Theory and Abstract Algebra: $\S 8$
- 1983: François Le Lionnais and Jean Brette: Les Nombres Remarquables ... (previous) ... (next): $0$
- 1993: Richard J. Trudeau: Introduction to Graph Theory ... (previous) ... (next): $2$. Graphs: Sets