Austrian-American mathematician who worked on mathematics of algebras, algebra of geometries, curve and dimension theory.
Also contributed to game theory and social sciences.
- Born: 13 January 1902 in Vienna, Austria
- Died: 5 October 1985 in Chicago, Illinois, USA
Theorems and Definitions
- Menger's Theorem
- Menger Sponge
- Cayley-Menger Determinant (with Arthur Cayley)
- Menger-Urysohn Dimension (with Pavel Samuilovich Urysohn)
- Erdős-Menger Conjecture (with Paul Erdős)
Results named for Karl Menger can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Karl Menger can be found here.
- 1924: Über die Dimensionalität von Punktmengen
- 1927: Zur allgemeinen Kurventheorie (Fund. Math. Vol. 10: pp. 96 – 115) (in which Menger's Theorem is presented)
- 1928: Dimensiontheorie
- 1932: Kurventheorie
- 1932: Neuere Methoden und Probleme der Geometrie
- 1973: Austrian Marginalism and Mathematical Economics