Mathematician:Ian Nicholas Stewart
(Redirected from Mathematician:Ian Stewart)Jump to navigation Jump to search
English mathematician who has made considerable contributions to the field of catastrophe theory.
He is more famous, however, as a popular writer and publicist of mathematics.
As one of the contributors to the Science of Discworld series, he was created an honorary Wizard of Unseen University.
Contrary to popular belief, he is not in fact Scottish.
- Born: 24 September 1945, Folkestone, England
- 1972: Galois Theory
- 1989: Galois Theory, 2nd ed.
- 2004: Galois Theory, 3rd ed.
- 1975: Concepts of Modern Mathematics (2nd edition 1981, 3rd edition 1995)
- 1976: Taylor Expansions and Catastrophes (with Tim Poston)
- 1978: Catastrophe Theory and its Applications (with Tim Poston)
- 1979: Algebraic Number Theory (2nd edition 1987) (with David Tall)
- 1983: Complex Analysis (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Plane) (with David Tall) ISBN 0-521-24513-3
- 1987: The Problems of Mathematics
- 1989: Does God Play Dice?
- 1991: Game, Set and Math: Enigmas and Conundrums
- 1992: Fearful Symmetry (with Martin Golubitsky)
- 1992: Another Fine Math You've Got Me Into ... (2nd Edition 2004)
- 1992: The Problems of Mathematics, 2nd ed. ISBN 0-19-286148-4
- 1994: The Collapse of Chaos (with Jack Cohen) (the 2000 edition has a plug on the cover by Terry Pratchett, which, because of the cover design, makes it look as though the book itself is by Terry Pratchett.)
- 1995: Nature's Numbers: Discovering Order and Pattern in the Universe
- 1997: Figments of Reality (with Jack Cohen)
- 1998: The Magical Maze ISBN 0-471-35065-6
- 1999: The Science of Discworld (with Jack Cohen and Terry Pratchett)
- 1999: Life's Other Secret: The New Mathematics of the Living World
- 2000: Wheelers (with Jack Cohen) (fiction)
- 2001: Flatterland
- 2002: Algebraic Number Theory and Fermat's Last Theorem (3rd Edition of Algebraic Number Theory of 1979) (with David Tall) ISBN 1-56881-119-5
- 2002: The Science of Discworld II: The Globe (with Jack Cohen and Terry Pratchett)
- 2002: Evolving the Alien: The Science of Extraterrestrial Life (with Jack Cohen) ISBN 0-09-187927-2
- 2004: What Does a Martian Look Like? The Science of Extraterrestrial Life (with Jack Cohen) (Second edition of Evolving the Alien: The Science of Extraterrestrial Life)
- 2004: Heaven (with Jack Cohen) ISBN 0-446-52983-4 (fiction)
- 2004: Math Hysteria ISBN 0-19-861336-9
- 2005: The Science of Discworld III: Darwin's Watch (with Jack Cohen and Terry Pratchett)
- May 2006: Letters to a Young Mathematician ISBN 0-465-08231-9
- 2007: Why Beauty Is Truth: A History of Symmetry ISBN 0-46508-236-X
- 2008: Professor Stewart's Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities
- 2008: Taming the Infinite
- 2009: Professor Stewart's Hoard of Mathematical Treasures
- 2010: Cows in the Maze
- 2011: Mathematics of Life
- 2012: 17 Equations that Changed the World
- 2013: The Science of Discworld IV: Judgement Day (with Jack Cohen and Terry Pratchett)
- 2014: Professor Stewart's Casebook of Mathematical Mysteries
- 2015: Incredible Numbers
- 2017: Infinity: A Very Short Introduction